Saturday, March 31, 2012

Happy Holi

What is better than getting to throw colorful, powdered chalk on random strangers? Ok, you're right. Maybe a few things. But it is still very fun.

The Hindus have an annual celebration called the Holi Festival, or the Festival of Colors, to celebrate the coming of spring.  Because it sounded like fun (and not because we have any desire to convert to Hinduism- although after last weekend, it doesn't sound like a bad idea), we decided to go join in the celebration.

(Warning: picture overload)

Before:





 During:

The girls, although skeptical at first, ended up loving every minute of it.




After:

We are totally doing this again, next year. So should you.

Although next time I think I'll wrap my purse in a plastic bag. I'm still finding green chalk in various pockets.

10 comments:

Kristin said...

Looks like a blast. I'm so glad you and Ashlee took their girls out for this!

the mom said...

I so want to go to Holi next year! I love the idea of being covered in chalk... though was it hard to breath?? :)

Irene said...

chalk?? You really do look colorful :-))
Looks like you all had such fun.

paul said...

Looks like fun. Did you take sheets to put over the seats in your car?

Unknown said...

@Paul- Luckily we were prepared and brought big beach towels for the car ride home :)

Sarah said...

Is your bra stained? I heard a friend say her bra got stained because the chalk fell in between her shirt and her bra. oh well, makes for a funny story later.

what a fun time. and cute pictures!

Unknown said...

Yes, Sarah- my bra actually still has a little bit of purple on it. Haha. :)

Jennifer said...

I would love to participate in one of those celebrations sometime. Looks like a lot of fun. :) So glad they have that in Utah of all places, and that you guys were able to go! I don't think they have that festival in Bali, even though they are very Hindu. I wish they did!

Brandon said...

Wow, looks like a lot of fun. Pelting other people with things is always fun. And the results in this case are beautiful.

Lauren said...

I remember last year driving on I-15 and every other car had colorful people in it. I've always wanted to go down and see it for myself!