Thursday, March 27, 2008

To bet or not to bet?

As I look at my naked reflection in the mirror, my first reaction is to run away screaming in horror. Knowing this will wake up my husband and daughter, I refrain.

I thought (silly me) that running a marathon would get my body back into shape (meaning... a shape I am happy with... not a big round shape). Oh how wrong I was... I gained 10 lbs and a few inches on my legs. Yes, I know it's all muscle- but who gives a crap if it's "all muscle" when my pants are too tight!?!

I realize now that working out, alone, will not help me shed this leach-like flab around my mid-section (from below my miniature breasts down to my knees).... alas... I need a better plan. I need to eat right. So- I'm starting to count calories (again). This time I'm going to try to make sure I keep it under 2,000- and not just stop keeping count when I reach 2,000 :)


On top of that, I decided that I'm going to start running to work. Don't gasp too loud- I live pretty close. Only 3.4 miles away, to be exact. So... when I told a friend at work that I was going to start running, he mocked me and said I wouldn't last 1 week. How dare he!? When I insisted that I would be able to last, he actually tried to make a bet with me! "$50 says you won't run to work more than 5 times." Well, I plan to do it... but that doesn't mean it's going to happen. However, maybe this is JUST the motivation I need to actually do it (money talks) . I agreed. The final bet was- if I do it less than 5 times, I pay him, if I do it more than 10, he pays me. So there's a little leeway there. I have 6 weeks...







I will win this $50! And hopefully lose some inches while I'm at it, since I'm not trying to run a stupid marathon- just 3.4 miles :)



Are we ever going to be satisfied with our bodies???

10 comments:

Sarah said...

You can do it!! $50 bucks added to the good feeling you will have is a great reward! Keep me posted. I want to know how it goes. If you can do that, then I should be able to leisurely walk to the gym in my complex and workout each day, right? Good luck.
Oh, and I love the last picture.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you took the bet from your co-worker (Bill, I'm guessing?). He doesn't know who he's dealing with. You'll do it - will seem easy after your marathon training.

You've inspired me.

I will also run to my work 10 times in the next 6 weeks. (Although, since my work/desk is only about 30 feet from my bedroom, I don't think it will help improve my shape much.)

You've already got a lovely shape. But if you want to lengthen and trim those "hays thighs" I recommend yoga or pilates.....

Ashley Rae said...

Yes Sarah- see if you can talk someone into paying you $50 for working out. It will help motivate you. Haha.

No, it wasn't Bill, actually. He doesn't doubt I can do it. It was a guy named Rob. I think he just likes to make bets- he has quite a few other ones going on right now...

LOL - running from your bedroom to your office? That's hilarious. And thanks for the Hays thighs :)

me said...

Im glad I inspired this topic (or at least I think I did)with our conversation last night. Good luck on the running...I really need to start doing something again. Maybe with the warm weather Ill get out and walk with the kids like I did last summer. How true that pic is at the bottom!! Why cant we all just be happy!??

Unknown said...

very cool.....i need to exercise more but i can't seem to find the time....or the will power. and running isn't my strong suit.....good for you!

thanks for NOT adding me to your list of blogs by the way! janica got on me the other day for not adding her to mine....so i'm passing along the nagging....;o)

craigthegrey said...

So, over a six week period, which would consist of 30 work days, you need to jog to work 10 of those days - a third of them. Sounds like a piece of cake for a marathon-er. Then you can use the cash for a huge calorie laden meal.

wurstens5 said...

You can do it. It's such a great time to start running now. I was able to lose 20 lbs this last year, just by watching my calories too. So it can work.

Anonymous said...

Ashley, You are in great shape, however it is how you feel about yourself that counts. I bet John would join you in your quest. He often bikes or walks to work when the weather is good and now that he has lost weight he probably will jog. Unfortunately, I can no longer jog sinced my miniature breasts became enormous. What? You have not noticed my black eyes?

Michelle said...

Yes, you already have a wonderful shape...good luck with your quest, keep us updated!

I hate running.

Anonymous said...

Good luck, Ashley, you can do it. I think if someone can run a marathon, they can do ANYTHING. That amazes me. And your Hays' thighs got nuthin on us Hunsaker squat-bodies. :(
I love that comic at the end of your post-so true. We women are so hard on ourselves.