Monday, December 1, 2008

Giving thanks, decking the halls, etc.

Due to lack of free time (what is that, anyway?), I have neglected to blog about my Thanksgiving dinner and the events which followed. I currently have a spare moment, while my daughter is feasting upon a quesadilla, my hubby is at school studying, and my dog is licking...er... cleaning herself. Uh... sorry for that image.
Sure, I suppose I could be doing laundry, cleaning, doing the work that I brought home, etc... but seriously. What's more important than sharing the intimate details of my life with the internet world? Hmmm?? Exactly.

Thus, for your reading pleasure:

Thanksgiving dinner was had at my brother's house. His wonderful wife cooked everything (except for the sweet potatoes, which I made and will humbly tell you that they were UH-MAZ-ING) and it was all exceptionally good. We had a great time chatting while the kiddies ran amok. We did some fun Christmas crafts (provided by my super creative mom) and went to the nearby park to take pictures. Fun was had by all.

Then we were off to Santaquin, aka BFE, to visit Justin's family, where we had pie and aerobics, so we could all feel better about eating more pie.

Friday, we went out to breakfast with my mama to Ruth's Diner (delicious), although I think by the time we actually arrived, it was more like a late lunch.

After Ruth's, mother and I went SHOPPING!! Booya. We got lots of smokin' deals. And I tried on lots of freaking adorable clothes which I will probably never get. But part of the fun of shopping is trying on ridiculously expensive clothing that I can never buy.

We got home that night and we were in the Christmas spirit. Time to pull out the decorations. I momentarily forgot that I inherited the Christmas-Tree-Light-Freak gene. What is the CTLF gene, you ask? I will explain. This gene makes you feel that it is absolutely necessary to have every single branch and twig covered beautifully by the strand of lights, so that when you stand back and squint, there are no light holes. The problem with this gene is that, every year I string the lights so closely together around each brand so intricately that I end up having to buy at least 2 more strands each year. And not because they burn out. I had to buy 3 strands this year. And if you'll notice, the top is still lacking- I could have used 2 more strands. It's starting to get annoying. The other problem is that it takes about 3 hours to put on the lights. Thanks, mom, for the CTLF gene. But I'm satisfied with the outcome.

My tree:
Every year, my mom gives each of us kids a new ornament. They are always so stinkin cute and unique. Here are a few of my favorites:


(Oh- the leg lamp was actually given to Justin by HIS mom, but I loved it so I put it on here, anyway.)

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this post. Ruths Diner was realy yummy - and we had such fun shopping, didn't we? I loved watching you try on all those darling cocktail dresses.... and especially love the dress we got you for your birthday. You look stunning in it.

OK, sorry for the CTLF gene. I got it from my dad. Not sure where he inherited it from... but honestly, can you ever have too many lights on a tree??? I think not.

That sparkly pig ornament makes me smile every time I see it.... it was perfect because Kennedy was totally into pigs that year. Your tree is beautiful.

Anonymous said...

I love your decorations!! That pig ornament killed me, love it. And your tree is beautiful, I noticed no gaps in the lights at all. I inherited the light freak gene from my Dad. And your mom is right, you can never have too many lights, really.

I love Ruth's diner. I miss it.

Kristin said...

I must humbly submit that you CAN have to many lights on a Christmas tree. I, too, have the CTLF gene and am guilty of adding another strand or three each year. By the 9th year of our marriage it had gotten so bad that, well... As I was putting the lights on (in the cold light of the living room lamps) I thought it looked beautiful. But then we turned off the light. The tree was ablaze. Craig said our tree could guide planes in. There was so much light that the magical charm was gone and you may has well have been admiring a tree in the flourescent lights at Home Depot. So I have had to practice great restraint and limit the number of lights on the tree.

Last time we bought an artificial tree (I prefer live, but that's how it goes) with lights already strung. So we have to have the strategically placed mirrors to increase the appearance of lights.

Our tree is lovely this year. Well, I think it's pretty every year, but this year we have a new color scheme, thanks to the very cool decorations given to us by Allison.

Anonymous said...

You know, kristin, there is no rule saying you can't add more lights to a pre-lit artificial tree :)

Schwartz Family said...

Your tree is AMAZING! I especially love the star! I think I am going to volunteer you to come to my house and decorate my tree. In no way would I be able to make mine look that way, no matter how long I spent on it.

Anonymous said...

Yay for the holidays! I can't wait to see you!!! I have been a horrible friend. We need to have a girls night asap. Maybe in January some time because things are so CRAZY right now. I'm glad you had a great thanksgiving. I will give you a call sometime this weekend... or if you would like to hangout and go shopping with me that would be fun too:) I'm thinking about getting a dog... what do you think?

Michelle said...

LOL to your story of lights on your tree, my sweet late Father had the same gene, I however, do not. My problem is that once I get everything set up around the house (coffee tables, end tables, dining table) with decorations...I am constantly changing everything! I can't just leave it alone, Tim even commented on it this year after I had placed everything the first time he said, "well that will be moved 100 more times before Christmas."

Lauren said...

I just have to say that you all look a little too comfortable on the slide...Do you do that often?...

shereesa said...

I applaud your christmas light skills, I myself start out with the intention of covering every last inch but after just a few branches I realize this is taking forever and I just want to hang ornaments anyway so I get really lazy and by the top it looks pretty pathetic. Also, post T-day aerobics is an awesome idea, I think I will start this little tradition with my family (mostly because it will be hilarious!

Anonymous said...

Your tree is beautiful! Your Uncle Tim was a stickler for not having any cords be obvious. It took hours to put the lights on our tree and yes we liked lots of them. I love the ornaments, your mother has sent me some crazy ones over the years. She has an eye for the unusual. xxx

Jennifer said...

It was such a fun Thanksgiving with you guys this year!! Thank you for leaving some of your delicious sweet potatoes in my fridge!! I still want more! Your tree is beautiful. That is a lot of hard work putting on all those lights. Great job! I tried putting my own lights on the tree for our first Christmas, and vowed I would never do it again!

Raising Helm said...

So I never know if I should even attempt to write a comment on your sweet and very popular blog. I love ya and your blog and maybe someday you may find my comment down there. Goodness! Well I love the pics and all the incredible exciting things you do. Merry Christmas and the lights are beautiful. I agree with the madre-you can never have too many lights!

Ashley Rae said...

I've loved seeing all of your (those of you who've done it) Christmas decoration posts! And thanks for commenting on mine. I can't wait to see the rest of your decorations. I love the holidays :)

CAMI said...

First off beautiful tree and awesome ornaments
2nd I hope Heather is as cute as Kennedy!
3rdly love the sesame cartoon!!!
4thly I didn't care so much fro twilight either! I was disappointed in the whole first half! your right no character development- ug!

Sarah said...

omg, I haven't heard of the CTLF gene. but your tree looks spectacular. you should get a job stringing lights at temple square. i think they pay by the amount of branches you cover completely. you'll be rich!

Annie said...

your tree is BEAUTIFUL!! We get a new ornament from our mom every year too, i love that!

Sara said...

I love the CTLF Gene. That's why I have a prelit tree, so it's all done for me! Yay! Looks like you had a fun thanksgiving. My computer crashed so I apologize for the way late comment!